- Subject selection
- Key dates and exam timetables
- 2017 HSC written exam timetable
- Exam advice and resources
- Rules and processes
- HSC: All My Own Work
- 1. Scholarship Principles and Practices
- 2. Acknowledging Sources
- 3. Plagiarism
- 4. Copyright
- 5. Working with others
- Disability provisions
- Results and certificates
1.4 Why do people cheat?
Despite knowing that it is dishonest, some students cheat because they want to get an advantage over other students. Other reasons for students cheating include:
- lack of confidence in their own abilities
- trouble planning and using their time
- competing demands such as work and sport
- not wanting to do the work.
Other students cheat because they don't understand plagiarism and they don't know how to acknowledge their sources correctly (this is sometimes called 'unintended plagiarism'). Using someone else's work and pretending it is yours is seriously dishonest - it is a form of theft.
What do you think?