1.4 Why do people cheat?
Despite knowing that it is dishonest, some students cheat because they want to get an advantage over other students. Other reasons for students cheating include:
- lack of confidence in their own abilities
- trouble planning and using their time
- competing demands such as work and sport
- not wanting to do the work.
Other students cheat because they don't understand plagiarism and they don't know how to acknowledge their sources correctly (this is sometimes called 'unintended plagiarism'). Using someone else's work and pretending it is yours is seriously dishonest - it is a form of theft.
What do you think?
- 1.1 What are the principles and practices of good scholarship?
- 1.2 What are the rights and responsibilities of students in ensuring the intellectual integrity of their work?
- 1.3 What is malpractice?
- 1.4 Why do people cheat?
- 1.5 Why is it wrong to cheat?
- 1.6 What are the consequences of cheating in the HSC?