- Subject selection
- Key dates and exam timetables
- 2017 HSC written exam timetable
- Exam advice and resources
- Rules and processes
- HSC: All My Own Work
- 1. Scholarship Principles and Practices
- 2. Acknowledging Sources
- 3. Plagiarism
- 4. Copyright
- 5. Working with others
- Disability provisions
- Results and certificates
5.5 What strategies can be used to ensure appropriate collaboration in a group work context?
- Understand clearly what the group is to do - often a task set for a group is about how the group operates as a group, as well as about what the group produces. Check this out with your teacher before you begin.
- Group projects require careful division of responsibility - it is not about how little work you can get away with. Group work requires maximum effort from everyone. Ask your teacher to advise you on individual responsibilities.
- Discuss the group's expectations for work quality - identify what the group is working towards - the final product.
- Make sure that all members of the group know about appropriate citation, referencing and acknowledgements - don't assume that everyone knows this already.
- Each group member could be encouraged to keep a personal journal which records contributions to the work of the group - this can be used to inform the teacher of individual contributions.
- Everyone checks the final draft for citation and attribution errors before submitting it for marking - this helps to maintain consistency in citation formatting, ensures there are no unnecessary duplications and is a final check to ensure appropriate acknowledgement of sources.
- Communicate frequently with your teacher - if there are problems with unequal contributions to the overall group task, discuss this with your teacher.
- Seek support from your teacher or school counsellor if you are being bullied into unethical behaviour.
Work through each step in the module:
- 5.1 Is there a difference between collaborative learning, collusion and copying?
- 5.2 Is it appropriate for students to seek assistance from others with their assignments?
- 5.3 How can students appropriately acknowledge the support of others?
- 5.4 What are the benefits of producing your own work?
- 5.5 What strategies can be used to ensure appropriate collaboration in a group work context?