Navigation Menu
Show Breadcrumbs

Equivalent certificates

The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) provides Statements of Equivalence (to NSW school level awards) for secondary education qualifications from overseas countries or from other Australian states and territories. Statements of equivalence are provided for employment and some training purposes. Statements required for university entrance must be obtained from the Universities Admissions Centre (telephone (02) 9752 0200) or from a particular university itself.

Fees for statements of equivalence are as follows:

  • $139.70 (includes GST) — statement posted within ten working days

  • $168.10 (includes GST) — available after two working days.

Payment can be made by cash, bank cheque, money order or credit card authority (Visa or MasterCard only). Payments by credit card will incur a 0.4% surcharge (GST inclusive). Please note that personal cheques cannot be accepted.

Applications must be submitted by mail or in person at the NESA office (Level 4, 117 Clarence Street, Sydney), as certified documents must be provided. Applications by fax or online CANNOT be accepted.

Documents required

  • Completed application form (see below to download and print a copy of the form).
  • Proof of identity.
  • Certified copies of your interstate or overseas education documents for which you are seeking equivalence. (Send copies of secondary education certificates and results plus certified copies of university degrees/transcripts if any.)
  • Certified copies of translations if the original documents are in a language other than English.
  • Bank cheque or money order or completed credit card details on the application form.

Proof of identity

Applicants must include proof of their identity by showing:

  • their passport or
  • their driver licence or
  • their proof of age card or
  • their birth certificate.

Applications by mail must include a completed application form, payment and one of the following:

  • a certified copy* of the main page of the person’s passport or
  • a certified copy* of the person’s driver licence or
  • a certified copy* of the person’s proof of age card or
  • a certified copy* of the person's birth certificate.

* A certified copy is a photocopy that has been compared with the original and endorsed as a true copy by a Justice of the Peace or a public officer such as a police officer. The Justice of the Peace must include their Justice of the Peace identification number and signature on the copy. A public officer must include their full name, position, title and signature on the copy.

Note: Where a copy of a passport main page or of a driver licence is provided and the name is different from that at the time of the examination, a copy of a marriage certificate or other document of name change must be provided. If you have any inquiries, telephone the Equivalent Qualifications Officer on (02) 9367 8111.
Please download the Secondary Equivalence Application Form (PDF) Updated January 2017



Certified copies: These are copies that have been compared with the original and endorsed as a true copy by a public officer or Justice of the Peace. Copies must be certified in Australia and must show name and signature of the public officer or Justice of the Peace.

Note: NESA will make the necessary copies for assessment if original documents are presented when applications are lodged in person. Do not send originals by post.

NESA provides statements of equivalence for general secondary education qualifications only. It does not undertake any of the following but, to assist you, it lists the contacts given below.

CERTIFIED TRANSLATIONS OF DOCUMENTS: These can be made by any officially (NAATI) recognised translation service in Australia (for addresses see the Internet directory Yellow Pages under interpreter and translation services).

APPLICATION FOR MATRICULATION/UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE: Make direct contact with the university or tertiary institution concerned OR contact the Universities Admissions Centre, Quad 2, 8 Parkview Drive, Homebush Bay, NSW 2127 – telephone (02) 9752 0200.

ASSESSMENT OF TERTIARY QUALIFICATIONS: Contact the National Office for Overseas Skills Recognition.

ASSESSMENT OF INTERSTATE AND OVERSEAS TRADE QUALIFICATIONS: Contact the NSW Vocational Training Review Panel – telephone (02) 9266 8450.


ASSESSMENT OF TEACHING QUALIFICATIONS: For eligibility for employment as a teacher in NSW government schools, contact the Department of Education and Training, Locked Bag 3003, Blacktown, NSW 2148 – telephone 1300 300 498.

ASSESSMENT OF ACCOUNTANCY QUALIFICATIONS: Contact the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants, Level 3, 111 Harrington Street, Sydney, NSW 2000 – telephone (02) 9375 6200.

Complementary Content