To complete education under special circumstances (apprenticeship/traineeship)
Information for students registered for home schooling wanting to undertake a full-time apprenticeship or traineeship for the purpose of the completion of Year 10 of secondary education under 21B(5)(d) of the Education Act 1990.
This information sheet is a summary of the relevant section of the Guidelines for Equivalent and Alternative Courses of Study. For full details please refer to Sections 3.5 of the Guidelines.
Student eligibility requirements
- these instructions are only for students currently registered for home schooling
- the student must have completed Year 9 of secondary education
- the student must be at least 15 years of age
- the student must already have an apprenticeship or traineeship contract signed by the employer
- the student must already have a summary training plan authorised by the Registered Training Organisation (RTO)
- written approval to proceed from a NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Authorised Person acting in lieu of a school principal will be required.
What you need before you start
- a full-time apprenticeship or traineeship contract signed by the employer and the student's parent/caregiver
- a training plan proposal supported by the head teacher of the relevant section in TAFE NSW or RTO
- Application form.
The steps you should follow
The student needs to have a signed full-time apprenticeship or traineeship contract
Notify the NESA Board Endorsed Programs Unit of the intention to seek approval to undertake a full-time apprenticeship or traineeship prior to the completion of Year 10.
An Authorised Person from NESA will be assigned and be in contact with you.
Complete the NESA application form and mail it with required attachments to NESA's Home Schooling Unit:
Home Schooling Unit
NSW Education Standards Authority
GPO Box 5300
- full-time apprenticeship or traineeship contract signed by the employer and student's parent/caregiver
- a training plan proposal supported by the head teacher of the relevant section in TAFE NSW or RTO.
If approval to proceed is granted by the Authorised Person then parent/caregiver will receive:
- Certificate for Exemption from Enrolment at School (for the sole purpose of completion of education by undertaking a full-time apprenticeship/traineeship).