Navigation Menu
Show Breadcrumbs

Accreditation top 10

Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions can be found below. If you can’t find what you are looking for please contact us.

Make sure you have the following details on hand so that we can best direct your enquiry.

  • NESA account number – this is the number on your Accreditation card - not your employee number
  • Date of birth
  • Current employer
  • Exactly what you want to know.

1. What do I have to do before I can teach in NSW? 

To start or return to working as a teacher in a NSW school, you must be provisionally or conditionally accredited by NESA.

Our accreditation guide outlines everything you need to know. It’s important to read all the information and make sure you have all the necessary documentation to support your application.

Acreditation will be mandatory for all NSW teachers from 2018. This will be a new requirement for pre-2004 teachers.

2. I started teaching before 2004, how will I become accredited by 1 January

Your employer is responsible for ensuring you are accredited by 1 January 2018 so you can continue to teach.

NESA is working with employers to capture all pre-2004 teachers in our system. Please make sure you have a current Working With Children Check to provide to your employer when asked.

NESA will email you an induction pack including account registration information over the coming months.

If you have not heard from NESA by 1 September please email so we can confirm your accreditation status. Please do not attempt to set up your own account. NESA will establish an account for you in consultation with your employer.

3. How much will my accreditation cost?

Teachers in NSW pay an annual fee to support their accreditation and ongoing professional development and training. The current fee is $100 and covers the calendar year and can be claimed as a tax deduction.

4. What happens if I don’t pay my accreditation fees?

It's important to keep your contact details up-to-date as that is how you will be notified when fees are due. You will receive two reminders and then we will suspend your accreditation if you have not paid by the due date. After your accreditation has been suspended, your employer will be given 14 days to suspend your employment.

5. How do I update changes to my phone number, address or email?

Accredited teachers should login to their Teacher Accreditation account. If you are awaiting confirmation of your Provisional or Conditional accreditation you should email us your updated details.

6. How do I register my change of name?

You will need to scan and email us the certified proof of your name change eg: your Marriage Certificate.

7. What if I am planning a break away from teaching?

If you stop teaching in NSW for a period of 6 months up to 5 years, you can apply for a Leave of Absence from accreditation.

8. What happens if I want to return to teach after a break away?

If you have been away from teaching in NSW for a period of six months to five years you must re-activate your accreditation with NESA before you can teach again in NSW.

9. What happens if I want to return to teach in NSW after more than 5 years away?

If you have been away from teaching in NSW for five continuous years or more you will need to follow a similar process to new teachers.

10. What happens if I no longer wish to teach in NSW?

Not a problem. Simply Email us immediately. We will then stop issuing invoices and 'stop the clock' on your accreditation. 

Complementary Content