Navigation Menu
start portlet menu bar

Tips for choosing a teaching degree

Display portlet menu
end portlet menu bar

Tips for choosing a teaching degree

Many Australian universities and other higher education institutions offer accredited teaching degrees. To be eligible for Provisional Accreditation to teach in NSW schools, you must have graduated from an accredited teaching degree. It’s important to find the teaching degree and institution that matches your needs.

1. Do your research. Visit higher education providers’ websites and read the course programs to find out which teaching degree is best for you.

2. Consider course delivery options and the institution’s facilities. For example, is distance education available? Is part-time study an option?

3. To work as a teacher in NSW you must have completed an accredited degree. Make sure you are enrolling in an accredited teaching degree. See accredited teaching degrees in NSW.

4. Find out how to enrol in a degree and by what date you need to submit your application. Some institutions may accept applications directly while others may require you to apply through an external body for example the Universities Admission Centre in NSW.

5. Regardless of what university you study at or the degree you end up doing, accredited NSW teaching degrees have to include study in mandatory areas including:

  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander education
  • Literacy and numeracy
  • Students with Special Educational needs
  • Classroom management
  • ICT
  • Teaching students with English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EAL/D).

6. During your degree you will complete a number of professional experience days in at least 2 different schools. These placements are where you get to apply what you learn in your degree in a real classroom.

7. Your professional experience will include a minimum of:

  • 60 days for a 2 year FTE graduate entry degree
  • 80 days for a 4 or 5 year FTE undergraduate degree.

8. If you are considering studying interstate, ensure that the teaching degree you are seeking to enrol in is accredited by that state’s teacher registration body. More about teaching interstate.

Complementary Content